Probiotics are microorganisms that have many health benefits for the body. In some foods like yogurt, and dietary supplements that are used orally, huge quantities of microorganisms are found. About 10 billion viable microorganisms are found in the human body, most of which resides in the GI tract. In fact, there are more microorganisms in the body than living cells. People take supplements to increase the concentration of probiotics in the body and enhance immunity.
What are the health benefits of probiotics?
Probiotics have multiple of health benefits for the body, some of which are as follows –
- Diarrhea – Certain strains of probiotics are found to be extremely beneficial in treating diarrhea and gastroenteritis. In all three major types of diarrhea in adults, viz. infectious diarrhea, traveler’s diarrhea, and antibiotic diarrhea, and nosocomial diarrhea in children, probiotics like lactobacillus species are very effective.
- Irritable bowel syndrome – Probiotics like Bifidobacterium infantis improves Irritable Bowel Syndrome very effectively. When this probiotics line in the intestine, they efficiently break down fiber and sugars that cause bloating, gas, and other visible aggravated conditions in IBS.
- Cholesterol – Several researches have shown that certain probiotics are capable to reduce “bad cholesterol” level in the body.
- Brain functions – Probiotics help in improving certain brain functions such as learning capability, memory retention and recalling, mood, and many more. Probiotics are also found to change disordered neurochemistry of the brain and treat depression and anxiety-related disorders effectively.
- Infection – Some probiotics are very effective in fighting against bacterial infection. Probiotic like Lactobacillussalivariusprovides significant defense against Listeria infection.
Besides, probiotics are beneficial for the following conditions also –
- Colic in infants
- Periodontal problems
- Allergic disorders like eczema and hay fever
- Common cold
- Liver disease
How much probiotics are required in a normal human body?
The complex community of microorganisms that normally colonize in the digestive system and protects the system from many illnesses are called gut microflora or gut bacteria. In the digestive system, the beneficial microorganisms outnumber pathogenic bacteria by 4:1 ratio, but the ratio changes significantly when somebody has any sort of digestive problem. So, the above ratio is absolutely needed to keep the body healthy and protective against these kinds of problems.
Although eating fermented foods on regular basis is the most natural way to get benefits of probiotic bacteria, many people couldn’t take these types of foods on regular basis, or they don’t prefer their tastes. In such situations, probiotic supplements are the most authentic way of increasing gut microflora in the GI tract. These supplements are easy to use, they don’t need any type of processing, and they are easy to carry anywhere. The only job is to discern the most suitable probiotic supplements for the body, because requirements of probiotics vary from one person to another.
Right dosses of probiotic supplements
There are over 10 billion viable microorganism present in a normal human body. For many reasons colonies of those friendly microorganisms may reduce in size or eliminate completely, when several health issues may surface. Daily dosage of probiotic supplements should range from 1billion to 10 billion CFUs, where as in case of antibiotic diarrhea physicians decide the right doses of probiotic supplements.